Nursing Academic Advisor - School of Nursing
Job no: 501624
Work type: Part Time Hourly
Location: Columbus, IN
Categories: Academic Advising/Academic Support, Administrative/Professional
|General Description of Position:
|| Provide college, School of Nursing and academic advising to students. Refer nursing students to appropriate support services in response to needs. Work with the Department Chair and Dean – School of Nursing to develop evaluative techniques to measure the effectiveness of advising services. Work closely with Student Services Offices, Academic Advisors, Faculty members and other areas as needed to maintain accurate information
• Demonstrate a strong customer service and/or student advocacy through a positive attitude of approachability, adaptability, strong problem-solving and desire to identify and support student success.
• Engage in behaviors that create an inclusive environment in which all people are valued and supported.
• Go beyond the easiest or surface answer for a student and get to the root cause of the problem, question or issue to solve it as quickly and professionally as possible.
• Collaborate with other staff and faculty to improve services, enrollment, student success, and student retention.
• Manage assigned areas of oversight within School of Nursing.
• Work with designated program departments to update and organize advising materials.
• Inform other Advisors of changes in program requirements.
• Organize resources for group advising sessions.
• Meet with new and returning students to select a course of study, schedule classes, and change or withdraw from classes as necessary. Meet with students to ensure understanding and compliance with college policies and procedures. Meetings may be one-on-one or in a group. Use the computer system to retrieve information needed to perform the duties of the position.
• Meet with assigned students to mentor and assist them in identifying academic, financial, and career needs and to guide them to necessary resources.
• Assist with advising at satellite locations as scheduled
• Make presentations to various faculty, staff, and student groups.
• Use computer to access student data and complete work assignments.
• Attend Student Success Center meeting and professional development programs.
The above list of duties is not to be construed as an exhaustive list. Other duties logically associated with the position may be assigned. All responsibilities will be conducted with the parameters of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
RN with Bachelor’s degree in Nursing (BSN) with three (3) years of nursing experience. Nursing Education experience preferred. Experience in serving a diverse population. Excellent communication skills and the ability to work as a team member are required. Excellent customer service skills.
Must work on own initiative and be responsible for setting own appointments and be able to follow through on commitments to students, committees, and other commitments. Must also be able to process information quickly and to apply and relay that knowledge in the performance of his/her advising duties. Considerable patience and diplomacy are necessary when dealing with difficult situations. He/she must react quickly and appropriately when necessary. Due to the stress of peak activity times and difficulty situations, must show considerable patience and facilitate positive solutions with students, staff, and others involved.
Excellent computer skills including Word, Excel, Outlook. Excellent organization and communication skills.
|Team Ivy Referral:
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Advertised: US Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend