Maintenance Technician - Temporary
Job no: 507362
Work type: Part Time Hourly - Temporary
Location: Lake County, IN
|General Description of Position:
The purpose of this position is to help maintain facilities, grounds and properties in a condition of optimal operating excellence, so that full educational use of the facility may be attainable at all times.
- Troubleshoots and repairs mechanical equipment, physical plant and systems;
- Performs routine and periodic maintenance and preventative maintenance and repairs to grounds equipment and all college vehicles;
- Troubleshoots and repairs electrical, plumbing, pneumatic and environmental systems;
- Performs daily building and systems checks and complete required documentation;
- Performs routine and preventative maintenance to all facilities; and building systems and equipment.
- Assist in structural repairs and renovation to buildings both interior and exterior;
- Performs outside grounds maintenance including snow removal, landscaping and lot cleanups;
- Assist in maintaining computer control systems (HVAC, Security, etc.);
- Performs courier services between regional campus when needed;
- Respond to emergency requests;
- Other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Must be able to operate power tools, both stationary and portable.
- Must be able to use hand tools and test equipment.
- Must be able to operate motorized equipment.
- Must be able to use and operate grounds care equipment.
- Must be able to communicate status of duties assigned, both written and oral.
- Work in an organized manner with attention to details.
- Demonstrate and promote good safety practices.
- Ability to work well with others as well as independently.
- Initiative and ability to work without supervision, when required.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak and communicate effectively.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license, and be insurable under the college authorized driver criteria.
- Ability to work varied schedules including Saturdays and evenings, as well as overtime.
Ability to troubleshoot mechanical, HVAC and electrical systems
- Associate degree.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints and schematics;
- Familiar with building, plumbing and electrical codes;
- Ability to plan and estimate time and materials;
- At least 2 years of previous facilities maintenance experience or comparable construction/ industrial experience.
- Have the ability to work independently.
- Willingness to pursue additional training as necessary
Selected candidate for employment will be subject to pre-employment background checks, including criminal history check, and any offer of employment will be contingent upon that outcome.
Position requires sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the College students and employees.
Positivity, creativity, flexibility in working schedule. (Ability to work days and some evenings) focused on student support and success
Fully supports the College’s mission and strategic plan initiatives.
- Frequently required to stand, walk; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and talk or hear.
- Required to reach with hands and arms such as to operate machinery.
- Occasionally required to sit
- Frequently must squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward.
- Uses hand strength to grasp tools and climb ladders.
- Frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk
- Frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 100lbs.
- Sometimes push/pull items such as tables, scaffolds, and cabinets.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Must be able to work from ladders and at heights from up to 100 feet.
|Team Ivy Referral:
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Attach a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (names, address, phone number).
Copies of transcripts may be required at time of interview. Original hard copies of transcripts will be required at time of hire.
Advertised: US Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend