Customer Service Overriding Expectation
• Demonstrate a strong customer service and/or student advocacy through a positive attitude of approachability, adaptability, strong problem solving and desire to identify and support student success.
• Go beyond the easiest surface answer for a student and get to the root cause of the problem, question or issue to solve it as quickly and professionally as possible.
• Ensure students are greeted in a positive and knowledgeable manner; reduce anxiety by creating a comfortable, welcoming environment; minimize referrals to other departments as much as possible.
• Ability to relate to a diverse population and to maintain composure when faced with difficult situations.
• Assist students with setting goals and identifying, planning for, and overcoming potential obstacles and defining steps in education and career planning.
• Build rapport and trust with students to support successful goal completion
• Communicate & conduct outreach to build a trusting relationship and support students.
• Review academic progress and, when needed, refer students to appropriate campus services.
• Use the college’s caseload management system/early alert platform to identify positive and vulnerable behavior, as well as other caseload management practices and tracking student interactions
• Advise and support students in developing success skills and acclimating to college
• Regularly review data with director and discuss strategies for improving retention and completion at the Hamilton County campus.
• Establish working relationships with relevant campus departments to access services for students, and assist students in moving toward self-efficacy.
• Identify, secure and coordinate, in accordance with the American Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, appropriate and reasonable accommodations for students with disabilities.
• Counsel and advise students with disabilities.
• Maintain confidential student counseling contact records.
• Train students, staff and faculty on the use of assistive technology
Leadership and Planning
• Participate in strategic initiatives to improve student outcomes and student services
• Develop and present lessons, talks or workshops on college success skills and motivation to various faculty, staff and student groups
• Participate in professional training and professional development
• Establish and maintain referral resources and relationships with external agencies and programs for additional support services for students.
• Educate faculty, staff, and students in crisis management.
• Communicate concerns and provide necessary support and materials for faculty, staff, and other service providers to assist in the identification and development of methods to assist students.
• Enter data and manage electronic student files to track student progress using the college’s caseload management system, student record database, and degree completion tracker.
• Use computer to access student data and complete work assignments
This is not to be construed as an exhaustive list. Other duties logically associated with this position may be assigned. All responsibilities will be conducted within the parameters of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), other applicable regulatory requirements, and professional standards.
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, as well as one year of experience in a student services capacity such as advising or coaching at-risk student groups required. Master’s degree in Student Personnel, Higher Education, Social Work, Counseling, Administration, Student Affairs, Psychology, Guidance, Education, or a related field preferred.
• Sensitivity and empathy to students’ needs and cultural competency.
• Strong management, organizational, and computer skills
• Comfort with adapting to changing circumstances and creatively addressing challenges
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of learning styles, study skills, and CliftonStrength preferred.
Must demonstrate ability to promote an inclusive environment that reflects the broad diversity and backgrounds represented by our students and employees and which every individual feels respected and valued.