Faculty - Computer Science and Mathematics
Job no: 512202
Work type: Full Time Faculty
Location: Hamilton County, IN
Categories: Other, Faculty
|General Description of Position:
Provide quality and engaging instruction in all delivery methods and formats for Computer Science and Mathematics; provide timely and meaningful feedback to students regarding the mastery of course and program learning outcomes; engage students outside of class in support of the curriculum and co-curriculum; provide institutional support and community service; participate meaningfully in student retention and completion initiatives; support the College’s mission and strategic plan initiatives; conform to regional expectations of faculty performance and engagement.
- Deliver assigned classes using pedagogy and technology that best support student learning, and in accordance with college loading policy, course objectives and program learning outcomes.
- Develop and maintain curriculum and supporting course materials in keeping with and furtherance of course objectives and program learning outcomes.
- Maintain student records, attendance, grades, and other documentation as required. Manage a classroom environment conducive to student learning and in adherence to federal, state, and college safety standards and practices.
- Facilitate student achievement of expected program learning outcomes.
- Use Learning Management System (e.g. IvyLearn) to facilitate teaching, learning, assessment and communication.
RETENTION AND STUDENT SUCCESS
- Provide academic-related coaching and academic monitoring to assigned student advisees in partnership with professional academic advising staff.
- Monitor and document student performance throughout the semester, including use of technology for academic advising alerts; provide necessary interventions to include communication with students, tutoring and other academic supports, and referrals to appropriate college resources.
- Maintain posted office hours and student engagement hours in accordance with regional expectations and the faculty loading policy in the Academic Support and Operations Manual (ASOM 7.2).
- Promote and assist in student recruitment, retention, and successful completion of programs, including outreach to students by phone, technology tools, and other electronic means.
- Participate in professional development activities that may include scheduled training, time spent onsite in related business and industries, and self-study to advance instructional and technical skills as well as current knowledge within the field of study.
- Participate in scholarly activities related to the discipline/focus, in fulfillment of annual performance plans, and as required for certification and licensure.
- Stay current in contemporary pedagogy, digital technology, and other technology related to teaching that best support student learning.
COMMUNITY RELATIONS AND BUSINESS OUTREACH
- Participate in community service activities on behalf of the college to advance the college's relationships within its service area as appropriate for department/division/college.
- Develop community/ industry/business contacts to advance college relationships within service area as appropriate in the department and division.
- Provide institutional support as requested by college administration such as participation on committees and task forces, projects related to college and program accreditations, and grant-related projects.
- Support and engage with Career Coaching and Employer Connections and Development (Ivy Tech Foundations).
- Attend commencement and participate as assigned by regional administration.
- Participate in college/ regional/campus-wide meetings and departmental/division/faculty meetings.
- Participate in career service and alumni activities.
- Support program/department chair in program management activities.
- Adhere to college and regional academic policies.
- Must have strong working knowledge of current technologies appropriate to area of instruction, faculty credentials.
The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position, but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance.
This position requires sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the College students and employees. In addition, the candidate must:
- Have strong working knowledge of current technologies appropriate to area of instruction.
- Have a background in C++ and/or Java.
- Meet faculty credentialing as outlined in the ASOM 7.1 as applicable to Computer Science and Mathematics:
- A qualified faculty member in Computer Science meets the discipline standard through one of two routes:
- Possesses an earned master’s degree or higher from a regionally accredited institution in computer science, engineering, mathematical sciences, information sciences, or a computer-related degree as appropriate to the course and/or specialty being taught; or
- Possesses a related or out-of-field master’s degree, from a regionally accredited institution, with documented 18 graduate semester hours or equivalent of courses in a computer-related field as appropriate to the course and/or specialty being taught.
- A qualified faculty member in mathematics meets the discipline standard through one of two routes:
- Possesses an earned master's or higher degree, from a regionally accredited institution, in mathematics; or
- Possesses an earned master's or higher degree, from a regionally accredited institution, in any field with 18 graduate credit hours in mathematics-related courses.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following qualities:
- Experience with curriculum development and coordinating curriculum to share with other faculty
- Minimum of 1+ years teaching at the college level
Ivy Tech offers a comprehensive benefits package: Full-Time Benefits.
|Team Ivy Referral:
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Advertised: US Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend