Part Time Gallery Director
Job no: 506228
Work type: Part Time Hourly - Temporary
Location: South Bend/Elkhart, IN
|General Description of Position:
The art gallery is the showcase for Ivy Tech Community College South Bend/Elkhart—a link between the students, the faculty, the profession and the community. The gallery director is critical in developing contacts, organizing and promoting events.
The gallery director is responsible for planning, coordinating and hanging exhibitions, including artist bios, and all marketing materials related to the physical gallery in South Bend and Elkhart. The gallery director is also strategic in managing the marketing and social media for the School of Information Technology.
Schedule of Events:
- Recruit and organize Gallery events & exhibits for the school year.
- Annual student show, course exhibits, student clubs
- Faculty shows, alumni/graduate shows, high schools, advisory committee, area artists
- Special Exhibits
- Publish events schedule.
- Communicate with Ivy Tech Marketing Director information on new installations and department activities.
- Notify and remind all participants of due dates.
Exhibits and Space:
- Work with artists to curate, organize and install exhibits, label and upload digital work.
- Replenish and refresh ongoing displays.
- Understand the proper handling, storing, and shipping of art works.
- Maintain bulletin boards and other classroom learning displays up to date.
- Work with the chair of school to establish a space utilization plan.
- Supervise the handling of artwork and ensure every care is taken with regard to their safety and security.
- Pick up, store and return work.
- Maintain space:
- Plexiglas’s is dust and lint free (no Windex)
- Walls are repaired and touched up
- Organize and maintain all display supplies and equipment
- Plexiglas sheets, rod and attachments
- Painting & lighting coordination with building facilities
- Mat & paper cutter
- Catalog acquisitions and keep records and archive.
- Archive student digital work.
- Maintain the artistic policy of the gallery and manage collection of releases.
- Manage artist contracts.
- Photograph exhibits.
- Organize and attend receptions.
- Welcome and assist featured artists during opening receptions.
- Order and coordinate food.
- Market events to attract visitors or visiting artists.
- Coordinate with Ivy Tech Marketing and school designers to develop print and digital materials for gallery and school promotion.
- Send information to “In the Bend” and regional publications.
- Photograph events.
- Assist with outside events for school promotions including but not limited to SBMA Scholastic Judging/Awards, Career Days, Latino Summit, etc.
- Assist in the distribution/posting/mailing of the marketing materials including invitations, posters, programs, etc.
- Assist in student handbook revisions and distribution.
- Manage website/blog:
- Measure and track the effectiveness of blog topics based on number of viewers and number of comments.
- Perform continuous enhancements and modifications to blog.
- Troubleshoot and repair bugs and technical problems.
- Act as liaison with server vendor.
- Manage Social Media—Facebook, Instagram, etc.:
- Post Gallery events.
- Post relevant happenings around campus and in the Michiana area that would interest the students and faculty.
- Track local art events & post.
- Track faculty events.
Associate degree or some higher education preferred.
Must be detailed oriented and organized, with the ability to multi-task,
Must possess good written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
Must be able to maintain professional relationships with peers and superiors.
Must be dependable.
Ability to handle multiple competing priorities.
Must be physically capable of climbing ladders and lifting up to 30 pounds repeatedly.
Experience handling prints and drawings is preferred.
Creativity, practical and critical thinking, ability to listen and collaborate.
Ability to understand and work with College students and employees that have diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, physical abilities, and ethnic backgrounds.
Position requires sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of the College students and employees.
Fully supports the College’s mission and strategic plan initiatives.
Selected candidate for employment will be subject to pre-employment background checks, including criminal history check, and any offer of employment will be contingent upon that outcome.
||26 hours per week
||$15.00 per hour
|Team Ivy Referral:
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Attach a cover letter, resume, and 3 references (names, address, phone number, emails).
Copies of transcripts may be required at time of interview. Original hard copies of transcripts will be required at time of hire.
Advertised: US Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend