Academic Advisor for School of Information Technology & School of Business, Logistics, & Supply Chain
Job no: 508903
Work type: Full Time Administrative
Location: Bloomington, IN
Categories: Academic Advising/Academic Support
|General Description of Position:
||Provide developmental academic advising for new and continuing students for School of Information Technology & School of Business, Logistics, & Supply Chain using a case management approach. Assist students in defining personal and academic career goals, interpreting and understanding placement scores, program curriculum and pre-requisites, and developing basic skills to register for courses, as appropriate. The Academic Advisor will refer students to appropriate internal and external resources that foster student success.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to student development and success through advocacy, positive attitude, adaptability, approachability, problem-solving, and support
- Demonstrate developmental academic advising that assists students in clarifying personal and academic career goals through the use of appropriate student development, human development, and student learning theories
- Assist students in interpreting and understanding placement scores, program curricula, and pre-requisites, etc.
- Assist students in gaining a basic understanding of the College's registration process and processes that need to be completed prior to the beginning of each semester
- Maintain current knowledge of the institution's academic programs, curriculum, practices and academic and student policies
- Coordinate with other Student Affairs and Academic Affairs areas to ensure accuracy of advising materials distributed to students, faculty, and staff
- Possess a working knowledge of the various types of student financial assistance programs
- Manage academic advising case load in a manner that promotes retention, persistence, and student success through proactive interactions and interventions
- Assist students in the development of an Individualized Academic Plan
- Monitor student progress through regular meetings, communications, interventions, assessments, and data collection
- Maintain academic advising records in compliance with College and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
- Develop and maintain appropriate relationships with students, faculty, and staff
- Utilize a communication plan to engage the college community in the academic advising process
- Engage in behaviors that create an inclusive environment in which all people are valued, supported, and respected
- Actively participate in professional development opportunities and professional organizations, as well as college-wide committees, etc.
The above list of duties should not be contrasted as an exhaustive list. Other duties logically associated with the position may be assigned.
Bachelor's degree in education, psychology, counseling, social work, or related fields.
Minimum of three (3) years of experience in academic advising, admissions, career counseling or related higher education area is required or one (1) year of experience.
Master's degree in college student personnel, higher education, counseling psychology, or related discipline is preferred.
Community College experience or credential preferred.
Monday through Thursday 9AM-6PM and Friday 8AM-5PM. During peak times work hours are permitted to change when necessary. Occasional Saturday hours to accommodate special registration events.
Remote work available with on-campus presence
|Team Ivy Referral:
|Special Instructions to Applicants:
Advertised: US Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: US Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend